Wednesday 10 February 2016

Online Card Classes - Copic Markers for Card Makers Day 8

Mid-week Hello! I suddenly realised what day it was, and that I had told Aileen I would post again for our ongoing Online Card Class yesterday.....Hmmm.... So I sat last night and caught up and made a quick and simple card using an image from a Simon Says Stamp set, which is a favourite of mine, and one of the techniques in the videos by Jennifer McGuire.

Day 8 was interesting. It was billed as a card making session using the images we'd already coloured, but had some great extra videos, including one from Debby Hughes  which showed a really interesting technique using the colourless blender pen, which I tried and was a bit of a disaster, but I will try again. I stuck with the technique below for creating a background mat in Copic colours to match your image, because it is unbelievably simple and yet very effective.


I'd previously stamped and coloured this image as part of Kathy Racoosin's 30 Day Coloring Challenge, so it made it even simpler to make. It's stamped onto some Neenah 110lb card stock in Memento Tuxedo Black and then coloured in shades of green (I will start writing them down in future!). I then cut out two squares of Neenah from scraps I had, one 2.5x2.5 inches, the other 3x3 inches. 


I adhered the tree onto the smaller square with some double sided tape, and then started to colour the larger panel. I started with my lightest, just colouring in about 2cm around the edge, then highlighted the corners with my darkest shade, before going in with my medium shade. I repeated with the different colours until the blending and shading was to my liking. 

 
I then adhered the tree panel on top of the coloured panel, and then the whole thing onto a white A2 card base. I added the sentiment to the front in VersaFine Onyx Black so it would be really sharp.


[Supplies: Simon Says Stamp One With Nature; Clearly Besotted Sweet Little Sentiments; Neenah Classic Crest 110lb Solar White card; White card 250gsm; Memento Tuxedo Black; Copic Markers; Versafine Onyx Black]

Really simple, but I think it looks effective and I've really worked on my blending and shading!

It was super sunny today, if a little cold, so I took my camera and tripod outside and took pictures of the cards outside - better? I love the brightness.

I thought I'd link it up to Pixies Crafty Snippets Challenge, because I used up some scraps of Neenah I had lying around. I'm very new to this challenge, but I read about it alot on other blogs, and think I'll enter more often. It's a great idea to make me use up some scraps lying around! It's also going up onto Kathy's blog for the Coloring Challenge.

Please do also take the time to go and check out my partner in Copic Crime, Aileen - she does some fabulous cards and amazing colouring.


Thank you so much for reading, as always, and your lovely comments. They brighten up my day!


7 comments:

maria f. said...

I love when you use this stamp! What a great idea to create a mat for your image using the same Copics. Maybe I should check out that class. I need to be prodded to use my markers. Congrats on your DT assignment (caught the headline below and had to check it out) Have fun!

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Really pretty and great blending!

Aileen said...

Ohh Ruth, love this stamp, it looks brilliant. And that background mat looks wonderful. I know what you mean about this technique, its interesting and what I am learning is that less is definetly better. Anyway catch up again soon Aileen

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

LOVE it Ruth my friend! Fabulous colouring, you're going great on that course of yours! Have a lovely day! Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Darnell said...

This is soooo pretty, Ruth! Your coloring and blending look so professional!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

Liz McGuire, said...

Hiya, fabby colouring. You can really see all the blending and shading.

I used to take my pics outside until one day a gust of wind caught my card and I had to go after it with my jammies on! (true story)

Liz x

Vicki Dutcher said...

Nice use of greens -- your coloring is getting AWESOME

Blog design by aleelilydesigns